Sunday, February 28, 2010

Sanctuary 12 x 12

My art critique group unveiled their sanctuary pieces on Friday and I took pictures. Sadly Blogger has decided that some of them look better sideways and try as I might, I cannot convince it otherwise....so you will have to tilt your head. GRRRRRRRRRR....

This first piece is by Tina Somerset who did a wonderful job with machine embroidery. Outside of her sanctuary door are all the things that pull on her...and inside is her sanctuary....a wonderful bathtub waiting for her to relax in.




















Rona Barnes finds her sanctuary in the Sabbath and she created a piece that shows the Sabbath candles. She isn't quite finished since her puppy decided to chew on her sewing machine cord but she is almost there.












I photographed the duck pond at Lithia Park and transfered the picture onto silk. Then I needle felted the tree on the left and used silk ribbon and silk thread for the leaves on the trees. There are a lot of French knots in those trees.





Elaine Turcke created a wonderful tree with machine thread work and bead embellishment. I love the way her small piece fits perfectly onto her larger background.
It was a good challenge and hopefully I will have more to show you as people finish them.






2 comments:

Mihaela said...

Beautiful!!!!

Joanna said...

Lovely work! Tina's carefully-constructed bathroom is a wonderful surprise hiding behind the door. I liked how Rona extended the candles' glow by using yellow patches in the background. And you, Karen, made an intriguing mini-landscape that just draws you in. I love the spring cherry blossoms and the park bench! Finally, Elaine's very detailed machine embroidery accented with beads would make a great fabric postcard on its own (does she want to make/send me one??). Really good perspective, and I agree -- it fits well on that background.