Sunday, February 21, 2010

Citra-solv collage and sneak peak

The latest Cloth, Paper, Scissors Magazine had an article about using Citra-Solv Concentrate on the pages of a National Geographic to get an other worldly affect. I tried it one day and was thrilled with the results. Of course, my kitchen smelled overwhelmingly like an orange orchard and I had pages everywhere...but oh, the fun every time I pulled a new page from the magazine. I finally tried my hand at collage with some of the pages yesterday. I fused a layer of Wonder Under to a canvas and then I fused the National Geographic pages on top. I came back in with some markers to highlight a few areas but the pages were pretty phenomenal without my help.
Quilting wise....I have been working on a large wall hanging to submit to SAQA's Creative Force Show. I have been listening to great books on tape like Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell so I know that I have 16 hours of quilting in the piece and another 13 hours of embellishment. I don't even know how many hours I spent creating the top in the first place.

I can't show you the quilt until it has been juried in or out but here is a sneak preview of the quilting and the beading. I used Angelina Fiber to add some glitz.
I am working on the binding right now.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

These papers are really beautiful. And I can't wait to see the quilt in its entirety one day.
Cheers, Jenn Mason, Editor, Cloth Paper Scissors

Heidi said...

Hi Karen. These papers look wonderfull. Have you heard of using Citra-solv to transfer the picture on canvas?
Heidi