Sunday, March 21, 2010

Inspired by Nature

SAQA put out a call for small quilts to auction off as a fund raiser and I got inspired. I began by playing with dyed fabrics on a black felt background. I added silk, upholstery fabric and painted tyvek. I did a lot of hand stitching using hand dyed thread but it still needed something more. That is when I went to nature and added a piece of bark and those little stems with the balls at the end. They are actually from a package of potpourri that has been airing out in my garage for awhile! Stinky stuff but when the smell goes away, the materials are great for quilts.
If you click on a photo to enlarge it you will be able to see the stitching better. I had a lot of fun making this piece.

1 comment:

Bee said...

Great piece! The bark is the perfect touch. I wouldn't have thought to use aired out potpourri! I'm sure it will bring nice contribution for SAQA.