Saturday, February 2, 2008

Necco continued

This is the full Necco quilt - done for a candy challenge by my art quilt group. We each picked a candy as inspiration. I sewed circles with batting inside them to a chicken wire frame. Then I printed information about the Necco company on organza and sewed those circles on top. The company has been around for more than 150 years and has a very impressive history. I wanted to honor their excellent care of their employees by featuring facts on the quilt. They offered profit sharing and life insurance to their employees at the beginning of the 1900s. Wow!
I attached a Necco package at the top of the quilt using clear thread and glue.

1 comment:

Joanna said...

Hi Karen,
Did you know that Necco's were one of my favorite candies? (especially the chocolate ones, of course) That's a ton of circles you made, and they all look hand-appliqued. I admire your determination and tenacity for 2008; it's quite inspirational! Keep it up; I'll be watching . . . Have you contacted the co. that makes Necco's to see if they're interested in the quilt?
Your bud in Salem, Joanna (AKA Jo)