Sunday, July 18, 2010

Phoenix Rising

Okay, I can not tell a lie. I made this quilt 5 years ago to celebrate my 50th birthday. As you know, the Phoenix rises out of the ashes and is reborn. So I figured that was a good way to start the next 50 years. This piece hangs in my studio and watches over me while I sew. It measures 58 x 70. Each feather was free hand quilted and the purple feathers and head are wrapped around timtex so they stand off the quilt. I put in 20 hours satin stitching the flames alone. They whole piece took me 65 hours and I do remember that it was pure fun.
I have lots of projects in process right now but nothing quite ready to show. I am also working on a new website that will feature my quilts instead of my patterns. I will let you know when it is up and running.

1 comment:

Suztats said...

It's beautiful! And how fitting for a new stage of life.