Sunday, June 13, 2010

A book for my mother

We got some wonderful blank cloth books in the quilt store and after seeing a blog by Bee, I just had to try my hand at decorating pages. I opted for old photos of my parents - my mother in particular. I used buttons, ribbon and embroidery for embellishment.
I started out by cutting the doubled pages apart and sewing the framed pictures to the background of each page. I tried spraying the background of this page with paint but I didn't have much control over the paint. The reason for slitting the pages is so that your stitching doesn't show on the back side. When the pages are all completed, you sew them together again in pairs.
This one has old hand made lace around the picture. It was handed down through the family and probably made by my father's mother.
I had a great time playing with fabric, embellishment and design. Next time I will show you more pictures from the book.
Happy quilting!

2 comments:

Bee said...

Your book pages are beautiful! I have seen the ready made books and they are a great place to start. I love your use of the hand made lace and embellishments and your photos are wonderful! This will be a treasured heirloom for your family!!

karenworks said...

I owe it all to you,Bee. I loved what you did with your pages.