Sunday, July 5, 2009

t-shirts and fuzzy flowers

I was commissioned to create a t-shirt quilt by a woman whose husband has recently passed away. We used his favorite t-shirts and logos from his hats. The quilt is a memorial to a life well lived.
This small quilt was the outcome of a new product that I saw in Ohio. I sewed straight lines across 7 layers of fabric following a grid. Then I cut the strips apart, and glued them to the already quilted fabric. When the glue dried, I sewed the strips in place. I soaked the whole piece to get the glue out and while the quilt was still damp, I went at the pink layers with a bristle brush. I actually bought a brush meant for cleaning grout and tile at the hardware store and it worked great. It fuzzed up the fabric so that it is very dimensional.

This is the result! A very fuzzy flower.


No comments: