Sunday, April 12, 2009

Heartist Shrine challenge

The art group decided to create our own shrines after looking at an article in Cloth, Paper, Scissor Magazine. I created mine as a gift for Shayna who is graduating from Whitman College this year. I printed a photo of one of my orchids onto watercolor paper and added watercolor paint around the edges. I used a combination of papers and fabrics to create the body of the work. The butterfly is tissue paper and the shells are real. I mounted the whole thing onto Fast2fuse to give it support. The back side is another piece of Fast2fuse covered in fabric with a letter to Shayna printed on it. I fused the two sections together and satin stitched around the outside a couple of times to get a smooth edge. There is hand stitching and once again, I had fun beading the leaves that hang from the bottom. The piece evolved as I went along and I loved watching the ideas unfold as I needed them.






The yellow paper was a little too bright so I covered it with a colored tulle to mute it a little.

















I got to use my new gromet gun to cover holes where I connected pieces with beads.







This is Wendy's Shrine to playfulness. I love her use of yellow. She started with a cigar box which she collaged and embellished.



Here is the inside. Doesn't it make you smile?




Patty is learning about Zen Buddhism and her shrine is a collaged piece also. She used some wonderful velvet pieces for the top part that seem to swirl around.







I love her lotus flower too.




Maya did a shrine to food. Those are real forks and the shrine is created on a bread pan that she found at a yard sale.








I love her collaged vegies in the background.






Jayne opted for a nature collage with lots of butterflies.











Her circular disk says it all: Simple Happiness asks for nothing, just breathes, just accepts, just is.








Denise used a beaded cabachon
that we made in a class with Larkin Van Horn and she mounted it on a beautiful blue batik.



She has a hummingbird in the center and wonderful pieces dangling from the bottom.










I think the curved pieces are bone and it is a shrine to creativity...if I remember correctly.
All of the shrines were unique and wonderful in their own way. It was a great project for each of us.










No comments: