Sunday, February 15, 2009

IF: Time and a velvet container

Diane Ericson gave us an assignment to make a container for something we hold dear. I began with my hand dyed velvet and started beading in a circle. That turned into the flower in the center. I continued with swirls and just let myself play. Very enjoyable and relaxing.
I topped it off with a couple of large beads in the corner.

The Illustration Friday word was Time and since I have been playing with rusting fabric, I decided to use a piece of it for this week. Rubber stamping and some old lace which I stained in a cup of tea finished it off. I have had a lot of fun rusting fabric. I walked Rascal along the railroad tracks and picked up lots of rusty metal things. I layered fabric and metal things on a rusty cookie sheet and put another layer of fabric on top. Then more rusty things and more fabric. I poured a solution of 1/2 vinegar, 1/2 water over the top and left it in a trash bag for about 36 hours. Voila...rusty fabric.




No comments: