Sunday, January 18, 2009

Art group Self portraits

My art group has been working on self-portraits for the last few months and we unveiled them the other night. Carol made this beautiful bowl and brought it with the following words:
Her life is at a turning point and she is waiting to see what will fill her bowl next.

Denise did this piece using wax and angelina fibers and all kinds of found papers. Unfortunately it didn't photograph well.


Jayne began with a cigar box which she decorated completely.
Inside was fully decorated with found objects pertaining to her or beginning with her initials: JLW.

She included a book in which she collaged pictures of herself in new and different settings:

Unfortunately, blogger wants to tilt the picture so you have to tilt your head with some of these!

I created a piece from things in my studio and gleanings from garage sales. I began with the circle and had fun attaching items. The smiling photo is me when I am in my studio. The other photo is me when I have to cook for people! The photos spin around.



I attached cooking items and sewing items and wrote my name with game board pieces.


Maya made a beautiful book of collages and once again you have to tilt your head to see them. They were hard to photograph and I wish that I had gotten pictures of more of the pages.


Patty says she has big ears and never leaves her house without lipstick so here she is....freckles, bags under her eyes, wrinkles and all.
We sure don't see her that way!

Wendy's piece is also about finding herself - a common theme among us. She is definitely not afraid to use yellow.
We all had a great time creating our pieces and sharing them with each other. Now we are pondering the next art challenge, a name for the group and direction for the coming year. It is sure to be a good one.
















No comments: