Sunday, November 16, 2008

Slick

Slick was created in pieces as a collage. I began with a batik that I purchased in Bali years ago. I cut it into pieces, layered it with batting and backing and quilted the pieces individually. I zig-zaged the edges to complete each piece. Then I carried them around with me and spent a lot of time adding stitching, beads and a wonderful fiber that I bought at the fly fishing store.
I quilted two other fabrics and played with the arrangement of them all. I still needed a lighter fabric to link the larger pieces so I created a new fabric using soy silk fiber. This fabric was cut into narrow strips and sewn between some of the other pieces.
I allowed pieces to overlap each other as the collage grew and took shape. It reminds me of an oil slick and the colors that we see reflected in oil thus the name.

I also used large sequins in places to cover circles that I didn't like in the batik!




The finished piece is pretty large and would cover a wall nicely. I loved the process and plan to do it again. It is the perfect way to feature unique fabrics.

3 comments:

Shayna said...

Now THAT is cool. Very very cool.

-your biggest critic

Mary G said...

Woo Hoo! You go girl! It is fabulous.

Unknown said...

I love Slick. Bring it to a meeting so I can get a better look.